Monday, October 22, 2012

The Call

I have been questioned lately...a lot.  People always want to know why.  Why did you choose to adopt?  Why don't you just have more of your "own" children. (one of my personal faves)  Can't you have more children?  Do you want more biological children?  Why Ethiopia and not America?

I know the majority of my friends and family ask b/c they genuinely care...and I really appreciate that!  I don't want people to feel they cannot ask questions.  I am not afraid to answer questions from people who ask out of love.

So, I thought I would just take a quick minute and answer some of these questions.:)

Q: Why did we choose to adopt?  A: Why not adopt?

Q: Why don't you have more of your own children?  A: I am...all of my children will be my "own" children.

Q: Can't you have more children?  A: Yes, I am going to have more children.  I might not give birth to them, but they will be mine.

Q: Do you want more bio kids?  A: Maybe, if that is what God calls me to do.

Q: Why Ethiopia and not America?  A: There are millions of orphans all over the world. No matter where they are from, they deserve families.  Our hearts and souls were pulled to answer the call in Africa.  I cannot explain it any other way.

I know people do not mean to be offensive most of the time.  But I am in this.  Every emotion in me is being tested every day.  I have invested my entire being into this process.  So when people question my motives...it makes me feel they think I am making a mistake.  You don't get this far into a process without thinking it through.  Trust me when I say, we have thought this through.  We are 100% aware of what we are doing.

A typical marathon is roughly 26 miles.  On the last mile of this race...people do not question the runner or ask him or her why she is doing this.  Nobody tells the runner to turn around or questions their motives.  They stand on the side and cheer, yelling words of encouragement.  This is what we need right now.

Everyone is called to do certain things.  And most of what God calls us to do is HARD.  Sometimes we choose to listen, and other times it takes a lot of persuasion.  We are afraid to do something that will require a lot of us...something hard.  My life has been pretty easy for the most part.  I can say with certainty, an orphans life is waaaaay harder than my life will ever be.  So I am choosing adoption.  I don't need anyone's approval, or even understanding.  But it sure feels good when I have it.:)


2 comments:

  1. Cheering you on!! I don't understand why people would ever ask those questions. Adoption isn't like a tattoo, something you can go and do on a whim even though you know it's forever. It MUST take time and a lot of planning and preparation. You are doing an amazing act of love, giving a child a FAMILY!

    ReplyDelete